Biodefense Market to Reach US$ 40.7 Bn by 2032, driven by rising demand for better flexibility in Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and convenience in change management procedures together with cost-cutting: Global Insight Services
New York, March 2022: According to a new research study by Global Insight Services (GIS), the global Biodefense Market is expected to grow rapidly over the next 10 years to reach a value of more than the US $ 40.7 Billion by 2032.
Biodefense can be defined as the activity of preparing for, responding to and countering the acts of bioterrorism. A bioterrorism attack involves the deliberate release of bacteria, viruses and other pathogens that can cause chronic illnesses to humans, animals, agriculture and the environment. Biodefense involves various medical measures that are undertaken to protect individuals against biological threats, such as administering vaccinations and medicinal drugs, along with conducting research and various public health procedures. Biodefense products are commonly effective against anthrax, smallpox, botulism, radiation/nuclear disasters and other such catastrophes..
Request Sample Pages of this Research Report:
Biodefense Market: Key Trends and Drivers
Growing investments by government will augment the overall market progression
Growing investments by government in R&D that encourages pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies to boost the production of vaccines will propel the biodefense market share. Increasing global biological threats has created need for funds to support the R&D activities. Government authorities’ stock large amounts of vaccines and bio-threat detection devices to combat against the deliberate virus attacks. For instance, as per the FDA FY 2023 budget, investment of USD 1.6 billion over five years has been allocated for biodefence vaccines and development of biodefense diagnostic devices. Therefore, growing investments in biodefense enables biopharmaceutical companies to manufacture technologically advanced biothreat detection devices that will significantly drive the industry outlook.
Biodefense Market: Restraints & Challenges
KPO industry faces challenges like shortage of manpower and knowledge issues concerns for data security and poor infrastructure, and rise in real-state costs. All of these factors combined tend to be huge challenges for the industry to grow and prosper. For example, the KPO industry requires professionals with the right skill-sets and domain knowledge but there’s a shortage of such professionals especially in developing economies.
Biodefense Market Report Findings
The anthrax segment is likely to hold a dominant Biodefense Market share and grow at a substantial CAGR during the forecast period.
By product, the biodefense market is segmented into anthrax, botulism, smallpox, radiation/nuclear, and other products. The anthrax segment held the largest market share of xx% in 2022 and is expected to grow at a significant CAGR over the forecast period. Based on products, the market is segmented into anthrax, smallpox, botulism, radiation/ nuclear, and others. Bacillus anthracis is a gram-positive bacterium that causes anthrax. It is one of the most likely to be used potential weapons for a bioterrorist attack. These spores are mostly preferred as they can be easily released into the environment by placing them in food, water, powder, and sprays.
They can last for a long time in the environment and are easily found in nature (soil, plants, or water). According to NCBI, anthrax bacteria is categorized as a tier-1 biological agent as it can be easily transmitted from one person to another and holds the potential for a major public health tragedy. Countermeasures against anthrax remain one of the key areas for countermeasures. It has received major funding for vaccine development. This includes project bioshield, which has witnessed over USD 50 billion in funding since the September 11 attack in the United States. Many companies have their vaccine for anthrax in clinical trials.
The other product segment is expected to be the fastest-growing segment with a 6.2% CAGR over the forecast period. It includes viruses like include viral hemorrhagic fever, brucellosis, cholera, influenza, plague, food poisoning, tularemia, Zika, Ebola, and many others. The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) has a Vaccine Research Centre (VRC), which is working on VHF vaccines since 2003, especially against Ebola and Marburg viruses. The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) has been awarded a contract from the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) to develop a vaccine against tularemia. Tularemia being highly infectious and at times fatal in nature is a potential option for a bioweapon. Recently many countries are witnessing rising infection cases due to the zika and ebola viruses and therefore many companies are competing to develop its vaccine. MVA-BN Filo, manufactured by Bavarian Nordic, is a vaccine against two filoviruses, Ebola, and Marburg’s diseases, and is currently under phase 3 clinical trials and has collaborated with the U.S. NIAID for the same.
The Asia-Pacific region is estimated to exhibit the highest growth rate during the Biodefense Market forecast period.
Region-wise, it is studied across North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Rest of the World. North America dominated the Biodefense market capturing an xx% market share in 2022 and is expected to showcase a significant CAGR in the forecast period. This is attributed to the presence of high federal funding, technological advancements, and growing awareness among the population. The presence of major players in this region is also a favorable prospect for the biodefense market in 2022. Based on Federal Research and Development (R&D) in the fiscal year 2017, out of the total federal R&D funding that was received by eight federal agencies, 96.3% of it was received by the Department of Defense (39.3%) and the Department of Health and Human Services (27.3%) combined accounting for more than two-thirds of all federal R&D funding. This percentage of funding to DoD is proposed to increase to 48.4% in 2019. The introduction of the National Biodefense Strategy in 2018, with the purpose to detect and contain biothreats at their source. The policy also aims to support and promote biomedical innovation, and improve emergency response in case of biological outbreaks. These are some of the factors contributing to the high market growth in the region.
Asia Pacific is expected to witness the highest CAGR of 9.1% over the forecast period due to surging investments in R&D. The growing significance of biodefense, and the rising threat of harmful biological materials that engender emergencies is driving the market growth. Australia and Japan are two of the most mature Asia Pacific biodefense industry as it has well-established vaccine production facilities in the country. This coupled with the presence of sophisticated healthcare infrastructure in the country contributes to its market position. Countries like India and China are rigorously expanding their R&D capabilities to cater to biological threats in the future. China is the second country after the U.S to spend the largest percentage of its GDP on R&D. These are the factors that are expected to boost the biodefense industry in the region.
Have a question for our analyst:
The key players in the market are XOMA corporation; Altimmune Inc. Emergent Biosolutions Inc.; Dynavax Technologies Corporation; SIGA Technologies; Elusys Therapeutics Inc.; Ichor Medical Systems; Dynport Vaccine Company; Cleveland Biolabs; Bavarian Nordic; Ology Bioservices; Alnylam Pharmaceuticals Inc. among others.
Recent Developments in the Biodefense Market:
- June 2022: Emergent BioSolutions Inc. (NYSE:EBS) announced that the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) accepted for review the Biologics License Application (BLA) for AV7909 (Anthrax Vaccine Adsorbed, Adjuvanted).
- May 2022: Emergent BioSolutions Inc. announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement with Chimerix, Inc. to acquire Chimerix’s exclusive worldwide rights to TEMBEXA (brincidofovir), the first antiviral approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for all age groups for the treatment of smallpox.
- In April 2022, Heat Biologics, Inc. announced the completion of its acquisition of Elusys Therapeutics, Inc., a commercial-stage biodefense firm and developer of the anthrax therapy ANTHIM (obiltoxaximab). ANTHIM is approved for use in the United States and Canada, as well as in Europe and the United Kingdom, under the brand name Obiltoxaximab SFL.
- in January 2022, integrated Viral Protection (IVP), a Texas-based technology business, released a new portable air filtration equipment that can eliminate airborne viruses in a single pass, including sub-micron versions producing COVID-19, anthrax spores, allergens, and other dangerous respiratory triggers.
Biodefense Market Report Coverage
- The report offers a comprehensive quantitative as well as qualitative analysis of the current global Biodefense Market outlook and estimations from 2021 to 2031, which helps to recognize the prevalent opportunities.
- A thorough analysis of market trends and restraints is provided.
- Region-wise, as well as country-wise conditions, are broadly evaluated in this report.
- The forecasts in this report are made by examining the recent trends along with future Biodefense Market potential from 2021 to 2031 in terms of revenue.
- Porter’s five forces analysis, SWOT analysis, COVID-19 impact analysis, Russia-Ukraine war impact, and PESTLE analysis of the Biodefense Market are also analyzed.
- Major players in the market are profiled in this report and their key developmental strategies are studied in detail. This will provide an insight into the competitive landscape of the global surface disinfectants industry.
Global Biodefense Market Segmentation
- Other Products
- North America
- The U.S.
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Rest of World
- Latin America
- Middle East
- XOMA corporation
- Altimmune Inc.
- Emergent Biosolutions Inc.
- Dynavax Technologies Corporation.
- SIGA Technologies.
- Elusys Therapeutics Inc.
- Ichor Medical Systems.
- Dynport Vaccine Company.
- Cleveland Biolabs.
- Bavarian Nordic.