Energy Storage Systems Market
Energy Storage Systems Market
New York, January 2024: According to a new research study by Global Insight Services (GIS), the Energy Storage Systems market is expected to grow rapidly over the next 10 years to reach a volume of more than 601.74 GW by 2033.
Energy Storage Systems (ESS) are advanced technologies designed to store excess energy during periods of low demand for later use during high-demand periods. These systems play a crucial role in enhancing the efficiency and reliability of power grids, enabling the integration of renewable energy sources by mitigating intermittency issues. ESS encompass various technologies like batteries, pumped hydro storage, and thermal energy storage. By storing surplus energy and delivering it when needed, these systems contribute to grid stability, reduce reliance on fossil fuels, and support a more sustainable and resilient energy infrastructure, fostering the transition towards a cleaner and more flexible energy landscape.
Request Sample Pages of this Research Report
Energy Storage Systems Market: Key Drivers
The increasing development of variable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, is a key driver behind the robust growth of the Energy Storage Systems market. These variable energy sources are inherently intermittent, generating power based on weather conditions or time of day. The unpredictable nature of renewable energy production poses challenges for maintaining a stable and reliable power supply. Energy Storage Systems address this issue by storing excess energy generated during peak production periods and releasing it during high-demand or low-production periods.
As the global transition towards clean and sustainable energy gains momentum, there is a growing need for effective energy storage solutions to support the integration of renewable sources into the power grid. ESS plays a pivotal role in optimizing the utilization of renewable energy, enhancing grid resilience, and ensuring a consistent power supply. Governments and industries worldwide are investing in energy storage technologies to address grid balancing, frequency regulation, and energy arbitrage, thereby fostering a more resilient and efficient energy infrastructure. This surge in demand for Energy Storage Systems reflects the pivotal role they play in facilitating the widespread adoption of variable energy sources and accelerating the transition towards a more sustainable and decentralized energy landscape.
Energy Storage Systems Market: Market Restraints and Challenges
The growth of the energy storage systems market faces constraints due to the lack of effective long-term energy storage solutions. While short-term storage technologies, such as lithium-ion batteries, excel in addressing immediate energy demand fluctuations, they often fall short in providing extended storage durations necessary for prolonged periods of low renewable energy generation. The intermittent nature of renewable sources, such as solar and wind, requires robust long-term storage capabilities to bridge the gap between energy production and consumption.
The absence of cost-effective and scalable technologies for extended energy storage hampers the seamless integration of renewable energy into the power grid. This limitation becomes more pronounced as the share of variable energy sources in the energy mix increases globally. Addressing the challenge of long-term energy storage is crucial for ensuring grid stability, meeting energy demands during extended periods of low renewable generation, and maximizing the potential of clean energy sources.
Energy Storage Systems Market Report Findings
The Pumped Hydro Storage segment is likely to hold the major share of the market in 2022
On the basis of Technology, the Energy Storage Systems Market is segmented into Pumped Hydro Storage, Electro-Chemical Storage, Electro-Mechanical Storage, and Thermal Storage. The Pumped Hydro Storage segment is expected to have the largest Energy Storage Systems market share in 2023. Pumped hydro storage is a well-established and mature technology with a proven track record of providing large-scale, long-duration energy storage. This segment plays a crucial role in mitigating the intermittent nature of renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind, by offering a reliable means of storing excess energy during periods of high generation. Pumped hydro storage functions by using surplus electricity to pump water to an elevated reservoir during times of low demand. When energy demand rises or renewable energy generation decreases, the stored water is released, flowing downhill through turbines to generate electricity. This process allows for efficient energy storage over extended durations, addressing the challenge of prolonged periods with minimal renewable energy production. Governments and energy utilities are increasingly recognizing the value of pumped hydro storage in enhancing grid stability and supporting the integration of renewable energy. The scalability, efficiency, and long-duration storage capabilities of pumped hydro storage make it a key contributor to a resilient and sustainable energy infrastructure.
The Small-scale segment is likely to hold the major share of the market in 2022
Based on Capacity, the Energy Storage Systems Market is classified into Small-scale and Large-scale. The Small-scale segment is expected to have the largest Energy Storage Systems market share in 2023. Small-scale energy storage systems cater to a diverse range of applications, from residential and commercial settings to community-level microgrids. The increasing adoption of solar panels and other distributed energy resources has amplified the demand for localized storage to optimize energy usage, reduce peak demand, and enhance grid resilience. In residential contexts, homeowners are embracing small-scale energy storage to store excess solar energy generated during the day for use during peak evening hours or during grid outages. Similarly, businesses are deploying these systems to manage energy costs, improve energy efficiency, and ensure a reliable power supply. The versatility and adaptability of small-scale energy storage solutions make them instrumental in meeting the unique needs of various end-users. Government incentives, technological advancements, and a growing awareness of energy sustainability are further propelling the expansion of the small-scale segment. As consumers and businesses seek more control over their energy consumption and costs, the small-scale energy storage market is poised for significant growth, contributing to the overall evolution of the energy landscape towards a more decentralized and resilient future.
The Grid Management segment is likely to hold the major share of the market in 2022
On the basis of Application, the Energy Storage Systems Market is bifurcated into Transportation and Grid Management. The Grid Management segment is expected to have the largest Energy Storage Systems market share in 2023. As power grids face increasing challenges associated with the integration of renewable energy sources, grid management solutions utilizing energy storage are becoming indispensable. Energy storage systems provide grid operators with tools for managing fluctuations in energy supply and demand, mitigating the intermittency of renewable sources like solar and wind. In times of excess energy production, storage systems absorb surplus power, and during high-demand periods or low renewable generation, stored energy is released back into the grid. This dynamic balancing act contributes to grid stability and reduces the need for traditional fossil fuel-based peaker plants. The Grid Management segment’s growth is further fueled by advancements in smart grid technologies and the integration of sophisticated energy management systems. These technologies enable grid operators to optimize energy flow, enhance grid resilience, and respond swiftly to fluctuations in demand. Governments and utilities globally are investing in grid modernization initiatives, recognizing the pivotal role that grid management through energy storage plays in achieving a sustainable and reliable energy infrastructure.
The Utilities segment is likely to hold the major share of the market in 2022
Based on End User, the Energy Storage Systems Market is classified into Residential, Non-Residential, and Utilities. The Utilities segment is expected to have the largest Energy Storage Systems market share in 2023. Utilities play a pivotal role in the adoption of energy storage technologies as they seek to enhance grid reliability, optimize energy distribution, and integrate renewable sources more effectively. Energy storage systems empower utilities to address the challenges posed by the intermittent nature of renewable energy, providing a mechanism to store excess energy during periods of high generation and release it during peak demand or low-generation periods. This capability is crucial for grid balancing and ensuring a stable power supply. Utilities are increasingly investing in large-scale energy storage projects, such as grid-scale batteries and pumped hydro storage, to improve overall grid performance. These initiatives contribute to the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, support the transition to cleaner energy sources, and enhance the resilience of power systems against disruptions. Government incentives, coupled with a growing focus on sustainability, are propelling utilities to integrate energy storage solutions into their infrastructure. The Utilities segment’s growth reflects a strategic shift toward more flexible and responsive energy grids, aligning with global efforts to transition towards a cleaner and more sustainable energy future.
The Asia Pacific region is likely to hold the major share of the market in 2022
Region-wise, it is studied across North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Rest of the World. The Asia Pacific market is expected to have the largest Energy Storage Systems market share in 2023. With a burgeoning population, rapid industrialization, and increasing energy demand, countries in Asia Pacific are actively embracing energy storage technologies to address challenges related to grid stability, renewable energy integration, and power reliability. Government initiatives and policies promoting clean energy adoption, coupled with ambitious renewable energy targets, are propelling the demand for energy storage solutions across the region. Countries such as China, Japan, South Korea, and India are making substantial investments in large-scale energy storage projects, including battery storage, pumped hydro storage, and emerging technologies. The Asia Pacific segment benefits from diverse market drivers, such as the need for reliable power supply, energy security, and the mitigation of environmental impacts. Additionally, the region’s robust manufacturing capabilities contribute to the production and deployment of energy storage technologies at scale. As technological innovations continue and economies prioritize sustainable development, the Asia Pacific region is poised to play a pivotal role in shaping the global energy storage landscape.
Have a question for our analyst
The key players studied in the Energy Storage Systems market are ABB Ltd (Switzerland), Altairnano (US), Amber Kinetics, Inc. (US), BYD Company Limited (China), Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Limited (China), Convergent Energy and Power (US), Electrovaya Inc. (Canada), Exide Technologies (France), General Electric Company (US), LG Energy Solution Ltd. (South Korea), Panasonic Industry Co., Ltd. (Japan), Schneider Electric (US), Siemens AG (Siemens Energy) (Germany), SK E&S CO.LTD. (South Korea), and SMA Solar Technology AG (Germany).
Energy Storage Systems Market: Recent Developments
- December 2023, Policymakers in India have acknowledged the significance of energy storage systems (ESS) for the nation’s changing electricity environment and have already granted over 8 GW of these contracts, with 60% of them being issued in 2023 alone.
- October 2023, The Axelborg Convention Centre, located in the center of Copenhagen, served as the venue for the Energy Storage Summit Europe 2023. With an eye towards the future, the Summit sought to promote green and sustainable development in the industry by bringing together experts to discuss cutting-edge energy storage technology and creative applications.
- September 2023, The Union Cabinet approved the viability gap funding (VGF) plan to build a reliable storage infrastructure for surplus solar and wind energy. The program calls for developing 4,000-megawatt hours (MWh) of Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) plants by FY31. The program has an initial investment of Rs 9,400 crore, which includes Rs 3,760 crore in government support.
- August 2023, Hitachi, Ltd. received an order from Matsuyama Mikan Energy LLC, a business company founded jointly by Shikoku Electric Power Company, Incorporated (Shikoku Electric) and CHC Japan K. K (CHC Japan), for a set of grid energy storage systems for the Matsuyama Storage Plant, to be newly established in Matsuyama City, Ehime Prefecture. Using Hitachi Energy’s grid edge solutions, e-mesh PowerStore, battery energy storage system (BESS), which has extensive global expertise, Hitachi, Hitachi Energy, and Hitachi Power Solutions Co., Ltd. (Hitachi Power Solutions) are offering a set of grid energy storage systems.
Energy Storage Systems Market Report Coverage
- The report offers a comprehensive quantitative as well as qualitative analysis of the current Energy Storage Systems Market outlook and estimations from 2023 to 2033, which helps to recognize the prevalent opportunities.
- The report also covers qualitative as well as quantitative analysis of Energy Storage Systems Market in terms of volume (GW).
- Major players in the market are profiled in this report and their key developmental strategies are studied in detail. This will provide an insight into the competitive landscape of the Energy Storage Systems industry.
- A thorough analysis of market trends and restraints is provided.
- By region as well as country market analysis is also presented in this report.
- Analytical depiction of the Energy Storage Systems Market along with the current trends and future estimations to depict imminent investment pockets. The overall Energy Storage Systems industry opportunity is examined by understanding profitable trends to gain a stronger foothold.
- Porter’s five forces analysis, SWOT analysis, Pricing Analysis, Case Studies, COVID-19 impact analysis, Russia-Ukraine war impact, and PESTLE analysis of the Energy Storage Systems Market are also analyzed.
Energy Storage Systems Market Segmentation
- Pumped Hydro Storage
- Electro-Chemical Storage
- Lithium Ion Battery
- Sodium Sulfur Battery
- Lead Acid Battery
- Flow Battery
- Electro-Mechanical Storage
- Compressed Air Energy Storage
- Thermal Storage
- Molten Salt
- Phase Change Material
- Grid Management
By End User
- North America
- The U.S.
- The U.K.
- Rest of Europe
- The Asia-Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Rest of the World
- Latin America
- The Middle East
- ABB Ltd (Switzerland)
- Altairnano (US)
- Amber Kinetics, Inc. (US)
- BYD Company Limited (China)
- Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Limited (China)
- Convergent Energy and Power (US)
- Electrovaya Inc. (Canada)
- Exide Technologies (France)
- General Electric Company (US)
- LG Energy Solution Ltd. (South Korea)
- Panasonic Industry Co., Ltd. (Japan)
- Schneider Electric (US)
- Siemens AG (Siemens Energy) (Germany)
- SK E&S CO.LTD. (South Korea)
- SMA Solar Technology AG (Germany)