Hydrogen Energy Storage Market
Hydrogen Energy Storage Market
New York, January 2024: According to a new research study by Global Insight Services (GIS), the Hydrogen Energy Storage market is expected to grow rapidly over the next 10 years to reach a value of more than US$ 24.0 billion by 2033.
Hydrogen energy storage involves capturing and storing energy by converting electrical power into hydrogen through electrolysis, separating water into hydrogen and oxygen. The produced hydrogen is then stored until needed, and when energy demand rises, it can be reconverted into electricity through fuel cells or combustion. This process enables efficient storage of surplus renewable energy, addressing intermittent power generation issues. Hydrogen’s versatility makes it a promising solution for long-term energy storage, supporting the transition to a more sustainable and resilient energy system.
Request Sample Pages of this Research Report
Hydrogen Energy Storage Market: Key Drivers
The integration of renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind, into electricity grids has become a pivotal driver for the burgeoning hydrogen energy storage market. As renewables are inherently intermittent, the ability to store excess energy during peak generation periods and release it when demand is high enhances grid stability. Hydrogen emerges as a key storage medium due to its versatility and capacity for large-scale, long-duration storage.
During times of excess renewable energy production, electrolysis is employed to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. The generated hydrogen is then stored, often in underground caverns or tanks. When energy demand surges or renewables output diminishes, stored hydrogen can be utilized in fuel cells to produce electricity, offering a reliable and flexible energy supply.
This synergy between renewable energy integration and hydrogen storage addresses the challenge of grid intermittency, supporting a more reliable and resilient energy infrastructure. Governments and industries globally are recognizing this potential, propelling the growth of the hydrogen energy storage market as a crucial component in achieving sustainable and decarbonized energy systems. The continued expansion of this market holds promise for a cleaner and more sustainable energy future.
Hydrogen Energy Storage Market: Market Restraints and Challenges
The burgeoning hydrogen energy storage market faces a significant hurdle in its growth trajectory – the higher cost of hydrogen energy storage systems. The capital-intensive nature of building, maintaining, and integrating these systems into existing infrastructure poses a formidable barrier. The expense is primarily attributed to the complex technologies involved in electrolysis, storage, and subsequent energy conversion processes.
Electrolyzers, a critical component in hydrogen production, demand substantial upfront investments, further contributing to the elevated overall cost. Additionally, the infrastructure for storing and transporting hydrogen, often requiring specialized facilities and equipment, adds to the economic challenges.
Hydrogen Energy Storage Market Report Findings
The Solid segment is likely to hold the major share of the market in 2022
On the basis of State, the Hydrogen Energy Storage Market is segmented into Gas, Liquid, and Solid. The Solid segment is expected to have the largest Hydrogen Energy Storage market share in 2023. Offering higher energy density and enhanced safety, solid-state technologies, such as metal hydrides and ammonia borane, outperform traditional methods. Their compact footprint and longer storage durations make them particularly suited for applications like transportation and grid storage. As costs decrease through ongoing research, the solid-state segment not only improves the efficiency of hydrogen storage but also accelerates the market’s growth, fostering a more sustainable and resilient energy landscape.
The Compression segment is likely to hold the major share of the market in 2022
Based on Technology, the Hydrogen Energy Storage Market is classified into Compression, Liquification, and Material Based. The Compression segment is expected to have the largest Hydrogen Energy Storage market share in 2023. Compressed hydrogen storage utilizes robust compression technologies to store hydrogen gas at high pressures. This method ensures efficient storage and transportation, addressing challenges associated with hydrogen’s low energy density. As advancements in compression technologies progress, the cost-effectiveness of this segment improves, fostering widespread adoption. The compression segment’s contribution enhances the overall viability of hydrogen energy storage solutions, supporting their integration into diverse applications and bolstering the market’s expansion as a crucial component of sustainable energy systems.
The Industrial segment is likely to hold the major share of the market in 2022
On the basis of End-User, the Hydrogen Energy Storage Market is segmented into Industrial, Commercial, and Electric Utilities. The Industrial segment is expected to have the largest Hydrogen Energy Storage market share in 2023. Industries increasingly adopt hydrogen energy storage for diverse applications, including power backup, process optimization, and emissions reduction. As hydrogen gains traction as a clean energy carrier, industries seek reliable and scalable storage solutions. The versatility of hydrogen meets the energy demands of various industrial processes, enhancing operational efficiency and environmental sustainability. Government incentives and the growing focus on decarbonization further propel the industrial adoption of hydrogen energy storage, underscoring its pivotal role in fostering a greener and more resilient industrial energy landscape.
The Europe region is likely to hold the major share of the market in 2022
Region-wise, it is studied across North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Rest of the World. The Europe market is expected to have the largest Hydrogen Energy Storage market share in 2023. The region demonstrates a strong commitment to green energy transitions, with ambitious hydrogen strategies and investments. Robust policy frameworks, government incentives, and collaborations between public and private sectors drive innovation and adoption. European countries actively integrate hydrogen into their energy mix, emphasizing its role in decarbonization and grid stability. Strategic projects, like hydrogen valleys and cross-border infrastructure initiatives, underscore Europe’s pivotal position in advancing hydrogen energy storage solutions, contributing to a more sustainable and resilient energy landscape across the continent.
Have a question for our analyst
The key players studied in the Hydrogen Energy Storage market are Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. (US), Altergy Systems (US), BALU FORGE INDUSTRIES LIMITED (India), Energy Vault, Inc. (Switzerland), GKN Hydrogen GmbH (Germany), Hexagon Purus ASA (Norway), LAVO Hydrogen Storage Technology Pty Ltd (Australia), Linde plc (UK), Magna International Inc. (Canada), Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (Japan), NPROXX B.V. (The Netherlands), Powertech Labs Inc. (Canada), Pure Energy Centre (UK), Schlumberger Limited (US), and TWI Ltd (UK).
Hydrogen Energy Storage Market: Recent Developments
- October 2023, Three projects in Ontario, Canada, have chosen EVLO Energy Storage to supply battery storage systems with a 4-hour endurance.
- September 2023, Via its Chevron New Energies division, Chevron U.S.A. Inc. announced that it had closed a deal with Haddington Ventures to acquire 100% of Magnum Development, LLC (Magnum Development) and a majority stake in ACES Delta, LLC (ACES Delta), a joint venture between Magnum Development and Mitsubishi Power Americas, Inc. (Mitsubishi Power). ACES Delta is building the advanced clean energy storage hydrogen project in Delta, Utah.
- September 2023, Union Minister of Electricity and New & Renewable Energy RK Singh declared that India was preparing to request bids for a pilot project using green hydrogen as a storage option to provide 100 MW of round-the-clock (RTC) electricity. This action was taken in response to early research by the government into the potential use of green hydrogen and green ammonia as energy storage technologies to help the nation fulfill its need for electricity during the day when solar power is unavailable.
- September 2023, According to a Royal Society assessment, the construction of large-scale hydrogen storage facilities must start immediately if the UK government hopes to fulfill its net zero objectives. The greatest option to address the nation’s long-term storage demands, it continues, would be to store hydrogen in shuttered salt mines since they have the lowest cost per unit of energy storage capacity.
Hydrogen Energy Storage Market Report Coverage
- The report offers a comprehensive quantitative as well as qualitative analysis of the current Hydrogen Energy Storage Market outlook and estimations from 2023 to 2033, which helps to recognize the prevalent opportunities.
- The report also covers qualitative as well as quantitative analysis of Hydrogen Energy Storage Market in terms of revenue ($Million).
- Major players in the market are profiled in this report and their key developmental strategies are studied in detail. This will provide an insight into the competitive landscape of the Hydrogen Energy Storage industry.
- A thorough analysis of market trends and restraints is provided.
- By region as well as country market analysis is also presented in this report.
- Analytical depiction of the Hydrogen Energy Storage Market along with the current trends and future estimations to depict imminent investment pockets. The overall Hydrogen Energy Storage industry opportunity is examined by understanding profitable trends to gain a stronger foothold.
- Porter’s five forces analysis, SWOT analysis, Pricing Analysis, Case Studies, COVID-19 impact analysis, Russia-Ukraine war impact, and PESTLE analysis of the Hydrogen Energy Storage Market are also analyzed.
Hydrogen Energy Storage Market Segmentation
- Material Based
- Electric Utilities
- North America
- The U.S.
- The U.K.
- Rest of Europe
- The Asia-Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Rest of the World
- Latin America
- The Middle East
- Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. (US)
- Altergy Systems (US)
- BALU FORGE INDUSTRIES LIMITED (India)
- Energy Vault, Inc. (Switzerland)
- GKN Hydrogen GmbH (Germany)
- Hexagon Purus ASA (Norway)
- LAVO Hydrogen Storage Technology Pty Ltd (Australia)
- Linde plc (UK)
- Magna International Inc. (Canada)
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (Japan)
- NPROXX B.V. (The Netherlands)
- Powertech Labs Inc. (Canada)
- Pure Energy Centre (UK)
- Schlumberger Limited (US)
- TWI Ltd (UK)