Air Defense Radar Market
New York, September 2023: According to a new research study by Global Insight Services (GIS), the Air Defense Radar Market is expected to grow rapidly over the next 10 years to reach a value of more than US$ 12.5 billion by 2032.
The air defence radar market refers to the industry that manufactures and sells radar systems intended primarily for detecting, tracking, and monitoring aircraft, missiles, and other aerial targets for air defence purposes. Such radar systems are an important part of a country’s defence infrastructure, assisting in the identification and response to possible threats in the skies. Military organisations and, in certain situations, civilian bodies in charge of protecting national airspace deploy air defence radar systems.
Request Sample Pages of this Research Report
Air Defense Radar Market: Market Drivers and Trends
The technological advancements in digital beam will propel the growth of the market expansion. The inclusion of fully/hybrid beam formation for monitoring targets in azimuth and elevation is a recent technological achievement in AMDR. When compared to conventional radars, the analog to digital converters placed in radars increased the range of target identification and operational flexibility. Gallium Nitride (GaN) advancements cleared the path for economical, lightweight, and small AMDR systems. The desire to track more objects at the same time has resulted in the creation of high-density arrays mounted on radars. This allows the radar to function in a wider frequency range while maintaining operating efficiency.
The increase in cross-border tensions & rising budget for defense expenditure will drive the market for the air defense sector. Increasing cross-border disputes, such as those between China and Taiwan, Russia and Ukraine, Israel and Palestine, and others, have modified the governmental strategy of neighbouring nations. For example, the Canadian government intended to invest USD 4.9 billion in June 2022 to upgrade decade-old radar systems across the country. Aside from new procurements, governments have begun to collaborate with one another in order to gain a strategic advantage over competitors. For example, the Indian government requested Bangladesh to expedite the installation of coastal radars in Bangladesh in September 2022. In October 2019, India provided Bangladesh USD 500 million in credit lines for the same purpose. As a result, escalating conflicts have raised global demand for AMDR. These drivers may expect to fuel the growth of the market.
Air Defense Radar Market: Market Restraints and Challenges
The increased in maintenance costs & design limitations are likely to hinder the growth of the worldwide Air Defense Radar Market. Radar systems must have improved operating efficiency, platform interoperability, user-oriented sophisticated systems, and a large frequency spectrum. Radars must sometimes function in extreme climatic conditions, which can cause onboard components to fail. The US Department of Defence, for example, has asked roughly USD 200 million for the upgrade, repair, and maintenance of 12 radars as part of the Ballistic Missile Defence Systems (BMDS) programme for fiscal year 2023.
In addition to repair and maintenance, the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) updated military radar requirements in 2020. As a result, in order to meet NATO requirements, all members must install/update new capabilities to ensure full interoperability throughout joint operations with other NATO nations. As a result, increasing military requirements and defense radar maintenance expenses may impede the growth of the Air Defence Radar Market. Hence, these factors are expected to restrain growth of the market during the forecast period.
Air Defense Radar Market Report Findings
The s band radar segment is likely to hold the major share of the market in 2022
Based on radar type, it is segmented into X band radars, and S band radars. The S band radars segment had the highest revenue share in 2022 and is expected to continue to dominate the market over the period. Because of its technological superiority over X band radars. Lockheed Martin was granted a five-year contract for USD 3.2 billion for the AN/TPQ 53 radar in April 2022. The X band sector is also expected to expand significantly throughout the projection period. Iran plans to deploy a 3,000 km-range horizon radar in September 2022.
The ballistic missile segment is likely to hold the major share of the market in 2022
Based on application, it is bifurcated into ballistic missile defense, and conventional. The ballistic missile defense segment has dominated the market in 2022 and expected to expand the fastest due to Technological developments in ballistic missiles, as well as the increasing employment of such weapons, will drive the segment’s expansion. The United Kingdom stated in March 2022 that it will purchase one S band ballistic missile defence radar from the United States under a contract costing USD 700 million. Conventional radars are likely to rise somewhat as defence organisations throughout the world boost their expenditure. Following the Russia-Ukraine war, for example, numerous European nations increased the acquisition of air defence systems. Following the war, Germany was the first country to purchase an Arrow 3 missile interceptor from Israel. The Czech Republic and numerous other nations are also preparing to purchase Israel’s Iron Dome system.
The defense and military segment is likely to hold the major share of the market in 2022
Based on platform, it is segmented into airborne, land, and naval. The airborne segment is expected to be the largest segment in the Air Defense Radar Market in 2022. Land-based radars are expected to expand the quickest throughout the projection period due to increased demand from Canada, Taiwan, Japan, India, and other countries. The airborne category is also expected to rise somewhat due to increased demand for new fighter planes and the global update of onboard radars. The Irish government stated in July 2022 that it will invest USD 200.84 million in land-based defense radars. The United Kingdom Air Force stated in July 2022 that it will invest almost USD 2.8 billion to update its arsenal of Eurofighter Typhoon fighters with ECRS Mk2 radars.
The North America region is accounted for the majority of market share in 2022
Region-wise, it is studied across North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Rest of the World. In 2022, the North America region Air Defense Radar Market had the highest revenue share, Land-based radars are expected to be the most rapidly expanding in North America. Canada announced a USD 4.9 billion investment in strengthening the radar defense system across the country. The expansion of the naval segment is ascribed to the United States Navy’s increased spending in the acquisition and modernization of a fleet of destroyers. The United States Navy stated in April 2022 that every vessel will be outfitted with SPY-6 radars to detect missiles and planes.
Have a question for our analyst
The key players studied in the Air Defense Radar Market are BAE Systems , General Dynamics Corporation , Honeywell International Inc., Israel Aerospace Industries Inc., Leonardo S.p.A , Lockheed Martin Corporation , Northrop Grumman Corporation , Raytheon Technologies Corporation , SAAB AB , and Thales Group among others.
Air Defense Radar Market: Recent Developments
- In October 2022, The United States announced a USD 3 billion sale of the National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile System (NASAMAS) to Kuwait. Kongsberg Defence and Aerospace and Raytheon Technologies will build NASAMAS.
- In July 2022, The United Kingdom’s Defence Ministry planned to invest USD 2.7 billion to improve radars and other equipment for Typhoon fighters. Typhoon aircraft will be outfitted with ECRS Mk 2 radars.
- In May 2022, India claims to have purchased 12 Swathi radars to track and monitor weaponry along the India-China border. Swathi can track shells, mortars, and rockets within a range of 50 km.
- In March 2022, The United Kingdom announced the acquisition of Ballistic Missile Defence Radar (BMDR) as part of a USD 700 million deal with the United States. Lockheed Martin is the main contractor on this project.
- In April 2021, Germany spent more than USD 126 million to put a radar warning system onto its Tornado fighter aircraft force.
Air Defense Radar Market Report Coverage
- The report offers a comprehensive quantitative as well as qualitative analysis of the current Air Defense Radar Market outlook and estimations from 2022 to 2032, which helps to recognize the prevalent opportunities.
- The report also covers qualitative as well as quantitative analysis of Air Defense Radar Market in terms of revenue ($Billion).
- Major players in the market are profiled in this report and their key developmental strategies are studied in detail. This will provide an insight into the competitive landscape of the Air Defense Radar Market industry.
- A thorough analysis of market trends and restraints is provided.
- By region as well as country market analysis is also presented in this report.
- Analytical depiction of the Air Defense Radar Market along with the current trends and future estimations to depict imminent investment pockets. The overall Air Defense Radar Market industry opportunity is examined by understanding profitable trends to gain a stronger foothold.
- Porter’s five forces analysis, SWOT analysis, Pricing Analysis, Case Studies, COVID-19 impact analysis, Russia-Ukraine war impact, and PESTLE analysis of the Air Defense Radar Market are also analyzed.
Air Defense Radar Market Segmentation
By Radar Type
- X Band Radars
- S Band Radars
- Ballistic Missile Defense
- North America
- The U.S.
- The U.K.
- Rest of Europe
- The Asia-Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Rest of the World
- Latin America
- The Middle East
- BAE Systems
- General Dynamics Corporation
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Israel Aerospace Industries Inc.
- Leonardo S.p.A
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Raytheon Technologies Corporation
- SAAB AB
- Thales Group